Building and Zoning

Don't dig without first contacting MISS DIG!

Building permits are required for all improvements or alterations to residential homes, buildings or commercial buildings. Improvements include but are not limited to:

  1. siding
  2. remodeling
  3. repairing or replacing existing structures
  4. additions
  5. demolitions
  6. roofing
  7. windows
  8. decks
  9. swimming pools
  10. storage or accessory buildings larger than 200 sq ft
  11. fences greater than 6 ft high

A Building permit will not be issued by the Building & Zoning Office without prior zoning approval when required.

All building permits are issued by the

    Huron County Building & Zoning Office

    250 E. Huron Avenue, Room 102

    Bad Axe, Michigan, 48413,

    (989) 269-9269.

Building permit application fees are established by the Huron County Building & Zoning Office and are payable at that office either by mail or in person. (Building permits may be picked up at the Village Office but must be returned to the Huron County Building & Zoning Office.)

For Building permit information contact the Huron County Building & Zoning Office, (989) 269-9269.

Zoning Permits are required for any structural changes made to buildings including, but not limited to, new construction and additions, as well as storage or accessory buildings (regardless of size), decks, fencing, and landscaping. 

This policy applies to all parcels within the Village of Sebewaing regardless of current zoning.  Some permits will require approval by the Village Council.

Zoning permits may be picked up at the

    Village of Sebewaing Office

    222 N. Center Street

    Sebewaing, MI 48759

    (989) 883-2150.

Prior to the start of work, the fee for a zoning permit is $50.00 payable to the “Village of Sebewaing”.  If work is started prior to obtaining a zoning permit, the fee will be doubled.

Zoning permits are required for the following improvements:

  1. remodeling when changing size of structure
  2. replacing existing structures
  3. additions
  4. demolitions 
  5. decks
  6. swimming pools
  7. all storage or accessory buildings
  8. all fences

Any construction within 200 feet of each side of the center of the Sebewaing River will require additional permits or letters indicating no jurisdiction from other agencies as detailed in the Zoning Permit Application.

For additional information on zoning see Village Ordinances.  For further information on Zoning permits contact the Village Office: (989) 883-2150